Wednesday 15 February 2012

When To Wax?

The Mum:
3 things happened to my daughter when she turned 12 years old and they all happened in one quick succession after the other:-


1. First bra fitting
2. Hair removal for legs and underarms
3. Bleaching her upper lip


All of a sudden she was beginning to turn into a young woman. The bra fitting was when it hit me she was no longer my little girl, that and the shock of how much trainer bras can cost! Next she became self-conscious about the amount of hair she had on her legs and underarms. This took me back to my teenage years and the girls changing rooms after PE. Back in the days when you had to have a shower and the girls would compare the smoothness of their legs and who had the most grown up underwear. I didn't want her to be teased about the amount of body hair she had but I also didn't want her to start shaving or waxing - she was too young! However, a genius friend of mine suggested hair cream removal as a less harsher method - panic over. Just when normality was resuming she then came to me about the fine hair on her upper lip. Unfortunately like mother like daughter so I introduced her to bleaching. 


Looking back I'm glad she was able to come to me for advice. My mum came from a generation where this sort of thing wasn't talked about and never bothered with. I had to find out these beauty tips from More! magazine and J17. Thank goodness for them otherwise I could have ended up like Howard Hughes (a hairy recluse for the younger generation). 


Things went quiet for a while, then the other week my daughter came home from school to say her friends were discussing eyebrow waxing and how they all have it done. Oh boy! Now I was a very late comer to eyebrow shaping - early 20's in fact. So my dilemma now is should my daughter wax or wait?







The Teen:
It's great that me and The Mum have such a good relationship because I feel that if we didn't I wouldn't be able to talk to her about the things talked about above and below. 


I was a bit eager in a way to grow up and I couldn't wait until I had to have my first bra and when the day came to trekking down to M&S for a bra fitting, I was excited. Then I got the bra and it was so uncomfortable! It was itchy during school days and I would have to keep making trips to the horrible girls toilets at school to pull it. The Mum kept telling me I would get used to it and eventually I did;thank goodness! 


But when I started getting dark, hairy legs, that's when I became disappointed because I had forgotten that this would happen and it was a part of growing up and I knew that once I start, I would have to continue doing so for the rest of my life and on a frequent basis too. I talked to The Mum and she told me she didn't want me shaving yet. I talked to a friend about this and she said that she shaved and I adored her smooth, shiny legs but when she showed me her cuts from shaving, I wasn't so in love with her legs after all... 
But when Mum came and told me about hair removal cream, I finally felt happy with my legs and my underarms. Since then, the cream has worked a treat and I don't have to worry about cuts on my legs and harsh hairs growing back.


Bleaching my  upper lip came when I had enough of putting concealer around that area. They were getting dark and I was getting annoyed. I don't have a problem with this it's just that I'm sick of having to do this a lot. 


But now, its my eyebrows I'm worried about. I hate them. They're bushy and thick and everyone at school has shaped ones so I told The Mum about how I was feeling about my eyebrows and how my friends started off with having them done professionally. But what I'm worried about is the pain of tweezing them and having to do them every single week and if I don't tweeze them, I can't afford to have them done professionally every week. Half of me wants them done and half of me doesn't and I'm stuck. 


I was eager to grow up for a while and loved the thought about becoming a teenager and finally getting a bit of independence. But now, it's the opposite way round; I want to be a little girl again. I miss not having to worry about bra's, getting dark hairs on my legs and underarms, not having to bleach my upper lip and fussing about my eyebrows. But it's a part of growing up and eventually everyone has to deal with these type of scenarios. 
But life goes on.
The Teen 
               x 

pictures from: www.amazon.co.uk and www.telegraph.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment